Foundation of ESGENA
During the first European Conference for Endoscopy Nurses in Oslo/Norway in 1994 a small group of enthusiastic nurses met to discuss the possibility of forming a European Endoscopy Nurses Group. A second follow-up meeting took place during the World Conference of Gastroenterology in Los Angeles later the same year. With the encouragement and financial support of the European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) a working party was set up, with the remit to write the constitution for the planned society. The group met twice during 1995 to draft the constitution. The group members came from Austria, Belgium, France, Germany, Great Britain, Luxembourg, The Netherlands, Norway, Spain and Sweden.
Members for an interim governing board were chosen and presented together with the final draft of the constitution to the delegates at the 2nd European Conference in Berlin/Germany in 1995.
The first elections of officers to the Governing Board took place in Paris/France during the 1st ESGENA Conference in November 1996.
Since 1996 ESGENA has organised a European conference every year in conjunction with the United European Gastroenterology Week:
- 2nd ESGENA Conference, October 1997, in Birmingham, Great Britain
- As the World Congresses of Gastroenterology and the 7th International SIGNEA-Meeting were held in September 1998 in Vienna, Austria, there was no European conference
- 3rd ESGENA Conference, November 1999, in Rome, Italy
- 4th ESGENA Conference, November 2000, in Brussels, Belgium
- 5th ESGENA Conference, October 2001, in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
- 6th ESGENA Conference, October 2002, in Geneva, Switzerland
- 7th ESGENA Conference, November 2003, in Madrid, Spain
- 8th ESGENA Conference, September 2004, in Prague, Czech. Republic
- 9th ESGENA Conference, October 2005, in Copenhagen, Denmark
- 10th ESGENA Conference, October 2006 in Berlin, Germany
- 11th ESGENA Conference, October 2007 in Paris, France
- 12th ESGENA Conference, October 2008 in Vienna, Austria
- In 2009 ESGENA and SIGNEA organised GI NURSES 2009 as a combined meeting with the EAG-BSG as local hosts
- 14th ESGENA Conference in October 2010 in Barcelona, Spain
- 15th ESGENA Conference in October 2011 in Stockholm, Sweden
- 16th ESGENA Conference in October 2012 in Amsterdam, The Netherlands
17th ESGENA Conference will be held on 12-14 October 2013 in Berlin, Germany.
» UEG Week website
ESGENA has over 7000 members representing both national societies / nursing associations and individual members from 40 countries. (Membership)
In a fast-paced changing world, improving communication between practising endoscopy and gastroenterology staff is essential in order to maintain good practice standards. Communication between the society and its members is therefore conducted via the "ESGENA NEWS" which is published biannually.» ESGENA News
In addition, the electronic Newsletter, the "E-News", is published between printed versions of the ESGENA NEWS in order to provide updated information to ESGENA members.
ESGENA has established a variety of databases on different issues which are available for members only:
- a database for hospital placements and visits
- a speakers‘ database for the organisation of congresses, workshops and seminars throughout Europe.
- information about national European nurses societies
- data about education of endoscopy nurses in Europe
Links with other groups having compatible interests/aims have been established:
Strong links have been established with the European Society of Gastrointestinal Endoscopy (ESGE) which has supported ESGENA since its foundation. Representatives of ESGENA have participated in ESGE-Workshops on advanced Endoscopy, the ESGE Education Committee and the ESGE Guideline Committee.
» ESGE website
Since 1996 ESGENA has organised its annual conference on the occasion of the United European Gastroenterology Week (UEG Week). In organising this conference, ESGENA cooperates closely with United European Gastroenterology (UEG).
» UEG website
ESGENA has established links with the Society of International Gastroenterological Nurses and Endoscopy Associates (SIGNEA) . Link zu SIGNEA Website: www.signea.org. In 2009 ESGENA organised "GI Nurses 2009 - ESGENA/SIGNEA London", in close co-operation with SIGNEA.
ESGENA has also established links to the World Endoscopy Organisation (WEO) for educational activities such as workshops.
» WEO website
As a European specialist group ESGENA has established links with the European Federation of Nurses Associations (EFN), formerly the Standing Committee of Nurses of the EU (PCN). » EFN-website. ESGENA was also a member of the ENNO Steering Group which developed the European framework of post basic nurse education.
» Learn more about ESGENA Education Activities
We are in an exciting phase of forging further links with other Endoscopy / Gastroenterology Nurse Societies throughout Europe. It is our hope that exploring commonalities as well as differences both between and among the various countries will promote a more enlightened and informed approach to gastroenterology nursing.